about me and my brain...
Hello, I'm Emma, creator of Me and My Brain…
Mental health and mental illness are subjects I'm super-interested in.
I have over twenty years of personal and professional experience in these areas, having been a registered mental health nurse and also living with mental illness.
Here are some of my intentions for the podcast (and I'm sure this list will keep growing):
- to have real conversations about life with mental illness
- to understand what 'survival' looks and feels like
- to challenge popular misconceptions about mental illnesses and their treatments
- to inform, and also challenge stigma
- to give people who are often misunderstood, misrepresented or marginalised a voice
- to offer alternatives to the popular tropes of the 'victim story' or 'victory narrative'
And lastly (and I realise I sound like a Miss World contestant here, but I mean it sincerely!):
- to have fun, learn new skills, and meet interesting people.